Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm packing

Oh I'm packing alright. A lunch that is. Breakfast too. Whether my colleagues are used to me stirring up my tupperware full of surprise every morning I'm not sure, but they've stopped asking, "What's that??" Today, had a been asked, my answer would have been this: plain yogurt, fresh blackberries, frozen raspberries, a banana, some ground golden flax, chia seeds and a bit of psyllium (pron. SILL-ee-um) husk. I eat this almost everyday. The fruit varies and I often use strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, cranberries, mango, or kiwi. On weekends I get variation of the same in a shake format made my my husband. When we first met, he had me at the shake. And he's right, you don't get sick of them. The shakes include protein powder, milk (or chocolate milk), POM juice and and a handful of vitamins, of which I normally take in the pill form B, C, D, milk thistle and evening primrose oil.

PS: RE: avocado toast
Tony Horton on Avocados: The Poor Man's Butter, By Tony Horton (Newsletter Issue #023 04/07/10)

Every time I mention that I eat four to six avocados a week, I hear all this gobbledygook about how fattening they are. I want to clear up this avocado debate right now. The fat in avocados is monounsaturated. This good fat is part of a healthy diet. It actually helps lower cholesterol. Avocados are rich in vitamins C and E, folic acid, and potassium. They also help your body absorb beta-carotene from other foods. Half an avocado is only 150 calories, and makes a perfect topping on a salad or some of your favorite whole-grain toast. Plus the pit is a giant seed that grows into a gorgeous plant.
http://www.beachbody.com/product/p90x-online/newsletters/p90xnl_023.do?code=P90XNEWS_023_V1_ARTICLE1#article1

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is funny. I was just having an avocado conversation the other day. I was on the 'don't eat too many avocados because they are fattening' side of the debate. I argued that I ate a ton of avocados one time when I spent a few months in Mexico and gained a TON of weight!! I did concede; however, that along with the avocado consumption there was an abnormally large amount of beer consumed and a general lack of physical exertion that may have lent itself to my overall weight gain as well. :) Avocado toast you say....I might just try it!!

    ReplyDelete